The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the oldest and most distinguished building in the village, having been built during the last quarter of the 14th century. For more than 600 years it has been the focus of worship in Harlton and the setting for community events.
In recent years the church has hosted a series of gala concerts and other musical events which have a wide following in the district. A newly built three manual organ has significantly enhanced the musical resources.
An Organist-Director of Music is sought for this Anglican Church in succession to Mr Leon Lovett who retires on 31 December 2015
Worship and Services
Harlton is part of the Lordsbridge Team Ministry. The Vicar for Harlton Church is the Rev Rebecca Gilbert (also Vicar for Coton, Barton and Haslingfield). The Lord’s Bridge Team belongs to the Bourn Deanery of the Diocese of Ely.The normal Sunday service is Parish Communion at 11 am with a service of Family Morning Prayer on the second Sunday of the month. Harlton has a tradition of welcoming Christians of all denominations to take communion. Visitors are always very welcome to join our services.
There is a War Memorial on the south wall of the south aisle,and a Roll of Honour, containing the names of those men from the village who served in theFirst World War but survived. This was restored in 2000 by Professor Tony Legge.
Steve Anderson has researched the history of Frederick Prime whose name appears first on the list of those killed in the first world war and of some other local men killed at the battle of the Somme in 1916. Click here to read.