The advowson* of Harlton belonged to the priory of Newton Longville (Bucks) until c. 1257, after which it descended with the manor. By 1587 John Duport had acquired the advowson from the Barnes family (presumably because of their recusancy) and in 1604 transferred the living to the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. Since then many of the rectors have been fellows of that College.

A full list of rectors may be found on the board on the north wall of the chancel above the choir stalls. the list is reproduced here.

John deLacy 1671 William Cooke
1330 Henry de Scalariis 1707 John Bagnall
1338 John de Hyngestone 1712 Gilbert Hooke
1346 John de Bottesley 1715 John Brooke
1347 John de Byfield 1723 John Lucas
1349 Roger de Tuffield 1727 Lees Ward
1388 Robert de Comberton 1756 Richard Oakley
1392 Thomas de Spalding 1784 Jonathan Chapman
1393 John Attee Hoo 1806 Edward Daniel Clarke
1460 John Abbot 1822 George Palmer
Bernard 1830 Charles Macarthy
1465 Rad Shawe 1839 James Fendall
1492 William Spalding 1867 Osmond Fisher
1518 Doctor Lupton 1906 W.K.Lowther Clarke
1539 Christopher Wyllys 1908 William Ellison
1556 John Hall 1923 Frank Rowling
1557 John Tylney 1927 Lewis Walker (PIC)
1561 Thomas Whitehead 1929 Edgar John White
1579 Arthur Hughes 1936 Thomas Harold Clapton
1580 John Davenport 1952 Herbert George Wise (PIC)
1584 William Pentlowe 1961 David Edgard Reid Isitt
1628 Marmaduke Thompson 1969 John Bishop Rowsell
1642 Richard Sterne 1981 Kenneth Gordon Taylor
1643 Jonathan Allen 1989 Peter Gilding
1661 Charles Bussey 1997 Peter Owen-Jones
1662 John Sherman 2007 Michael Matthews (Vicar)

While many rectors were pluralists and non resident, employing curates to do their pastoral work for them while enjoying the income from the parish, there have been some notable figures amongst them: click on the name where there is a link to learn more about them

harltonadminRectors of Harlton